The House of Virgin Mary

This is situated at the Peak of Bülbül Mountain, 9 kilometers from Selçuk. According to the legend, St. John came to Ephesus with Virgin Mary four or six years after the crucifixion of Jesus. Following the visions of a German nun. Catherina Emmerich, a group of Lazarist priests discovered a house, which is believed to be the palace where Virgin Mary spent her last days, in 1891. This discovery attracted the attention of the entire Christian world. The cruciform building topped with a dome was restored in modern times. The house received visits from Pope Paul VI in 1967 and Pope John Paul II in 1979, which strengthened the belief that Virgin Mary lived and died in Ephesus. This site has become a frequent destination for pilgrims, since the image of Virgin Mary is venerated not only by Christians but also by Muslims. A special mass as held each 15 August, which attracts numerous visitors.