No comment left, would you like to comment?
You are in Kestanepazarı Mosque, the brightest and most spacious mosque in Kemeraltı.
Before the Kestanepazarı Mosque was built, it is known that the Red Ibrahim Masjid was located in its place. Although Halil Efendi, the Kadisi of İzmir, wanted the Kızıl İbrahim Masjid to be turned into a mosque in 1703, this was not possible. In 1730, Eminzade Hacı Ahmet Ağa, one of the leading statesmen of the Tulip Age, had the Kızıl İbrahim Mosque repaired and added a pulpit and asked permission to read the sermon. In the environment of the chaos caused by the death of Eminzade Hacı Ahmet Ağa in the same year and possibly the Patrona Halil Uprising, this demand did not come true immediately. However, a year later, in May 1731, the transformation of the Red Ibrahim Masjid into a mosque was realized. In the following years, the mosque continued its existence under the name of Eminzade Hacı Mehmet Ağa, under the administration of the foundation of the same name. However, it is known that the name Kızıl İbrahim was used from time to time until the beginning of the 19th century.
In a severe earthquake in 1868, the domes of Kestanepazarı Mosque collapsed and the mosque became unusable. In the same year, Hacı Hüseyin Nuri Efendi of Egypt, a member of İzmir Meclis-i Kebir, had the mosque rebuilt in its current form, as well as a primary school, a library, a room for the imam and a muezzin, and a fountain at the entrance.
The inscription text at the entrance of the mosque was taken from Evliya Çelebi's Seyahatname. However, this inscription, which actually belongs to the Kemeraltı Mosque, was mistakenly mistaken for this mosque. However, in 1671 when Evliya Çelebi came to İzmir, Kestanepazarı Mosque did not exist, and Eminzade Ahmet Ağa, the builder of the mosque, was either not born yet or was very young.
Kestanepazarı Mosque, whose walls are made of cut stone, is high from the ground with shops on the ground floor like some other monumental mosques in Kemeraltı. Four domes surround the large dome of the mosque. The last congregation place, which is covered with three domes, is covered with windows. It is said that the beautiful marble altar of the mosque was brought from Isa Bey Mosque in Selçuk. The mihrab is completed with a large plaster crown of leaves overflowing from a vase, curved branches and flower bunches.