No comment left, would you like to comment?
Etz Hayim Synagogue
The Etz Hayim Synagogue, which is thought to be the first synagogue of the city and means 'tree of life', is here. It is suggested that this synagogue belongs to the Byzantine period, like other synagogues with the same name.
The synagogue that has been rebuilt over and over again due to damage in many fires. Finally, after it was completely burned in the fire of 1841, it was restored by a philanthropist named Daniel Sidi in 1851 and took its current form.
There is a small garden behind the synagogue, which can be climbed by a long staircase. The ground floor is made of masonry stone and the upper floor is built as a wooden carcass.
The Etz Hayim Synagogue Teva * was moved from the center that was supposed to be located in 1851, next to Ehal **. Unlike other ceilings, the ceiling of Teva's original location is adorned with floral ornaments in green geometric forms. Teva is located on the platform resembling the galleys used by the Jews when they came to Izmir from Portugal. Ehal, on the other hand, draws attention with its wooden craftsmanship.
Although the Etz Hayim Synagogue is still standing despite its ground in need of repair, it is not open to worship today.
* a prayed pulpit
** The cupboard in which the holy book is kept and is the most sacred part of the synagogue. The cupboard faces east, that is Jerusalem.