No comment left, would you like to comment?
Santa Maria Catholic Church
The church on Halit Ziya Boulevard is the Italian Catholic Church and Franciscan priests serve there. While the outer facades of the building are quite modest, the main entrance facade in the east has a careful workmanship. This facade was divided into two floors with transverse graded moldings and ended with a triangular pediment.
The church has a single-nave basilica plan that extends in the east-west direction. On the east side is a three-part narthex, divided by two piers, and on the west side is the bema platform covered by a dome with an eight-segment and center lantern. Adornment was intensively used in the interior of the church except for the panels with the depictions of Jesus and the Virgin Mary
It is open to visitors between 09:00 and 17:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Located in the passport area, the church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary and was opened for worship in 1689. The building, which was destroyed in 1889, was rebuilt in 1890.